Too messages in Hold folder when spamassassin is activated in MailScanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 11:34:32 GMT 2007

On 27/11/2007, Israel Garcia <igalvarez at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 4:13 PM, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:

> the
> > > v310 file.
> > > What does it means?
> > That you should comment it out in the v310.pre file too;-)
> > Then restart MS (with SA) and see if that cures it.
> >

> DONE!!.. I restarted now.. let see now :-) .. two questions, which is the
> difference in init.pre,  v310.pre, v310.pre and v320.pre files? What is ASN?
> thanks a lot glenn..:-)

SpamAssassin will read&use all the files in there named
<whatever>.pre, IIRC in lexical order, so setting one thing in any of
them will mean it is used. The idea with the construct is that you
should be able to move up/down versions easily, without the need to
copy over/manage settings "unrelated" to the new version.
There has been a (few IIRC) discussion(s) on ASN in the list. IIRC, to
use it one need do more than load it, so that in itself is reason
enough to disable. Read more about it at
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_ASN.html
(and elsewhere on their site).

> > > there.  You say a high percentage of your traffic is SMTP, how are you
> > > identifying that ?
> > >
> > > I can see the traffic in my WAN network using a cisco router/netflow
> > > collector.

> > > No
> others
> > > have also said.
> > > Well, I use a only caching dns ( caching-nameserver-7.3-3)
> does
> > > the problem disappear ?
> > > Do you mean thie line:
> > > Spam List = #ORDB-RBL SBL+XBL spamcop.net NJABL SORBS #
> > Ok, that's empty then.
> >

> > > When the problem disappear is when I set:
> > > Use Spamassassin = no
> > > and restart mailscanner...
> >
> > If you run "MailScanner --debug --debug-sa", or just a normal
> > "spamassassin -D -t </path/to/some/test/message", do you see any ...
> > very noticeable ... "pauses"? And if so, where?
> >
> Well, I ran  MailScanner --debug --debug-sa and I see no errors.. BUT it
> takes so long.. I mean  several minutes (20 or 30 minutes) :-(

Hm, that seems a bit extreme. Are you by any chance running a slightly
old ClamAV (and perhaps using either clamscan or clamavmodule)? There
was a problem with signature loading a while back.
top should be able to tell you about that.

Could we see an example of the output, where you point out the most
flagrant "pauses"?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn