Can't block wmv files

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 14:08:24 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm using:

mailscanner-4.65.3-1.noarch

and trying to block various movie files for a domain.

I have done this sort of setup numerous times for other domains and it all works fine, but for this one particular domain I cannot get it to work. wmv's, avi's, mpg's, etc all pass through.

My inbound MX servers (which run MailScanner) have both configured:

%etc-dir%/example.com.filename.rules:

deny    \.avi$          AVI files not allowed   AVI file not allowed
deny    \.mov$          MOV files not allowed   MOV files not allowed
deny    \.mp3$          MP3 files not allowed   MP3 files not allowed
deny    \.mpg$          MPG files not allowed   MPG files not allowed
deny    \.mpeg$         MPEG files not allowed  MPEG files not allowed
deny    \.swf$          SWF files not allowed   SWF files not allowed
deny    \.wav$          WAV files not allowed   WAV files not allowed
deny    \.wmv$          WMV files not allowed   WMV files not allowed

and %etc-dir%/example.com.filetype.rules:

# NOTE: Fields are separated by TAB characters --- Important!
#
# Syntax is allow/deny/deny+delete, then regular expression, then log text,
#           then user report text.
#
# If none of the rules match, then the filetype is allowed.

allow   text            -                       -
allow   \bscript        -                       -
allow   archive         -                       -
allow   postscript      -                       -
deny    self-extract    No self-extracting archives     No self-extracting archives allowed
deny    executable      No executables          No programs allowed
deny    ELF             No executables          No programs allowed
deny    Registry        No Windows Registry entries     No Windows Registry files allowed

deny    MPEG            No MPEG movies          No MPEG movies allowed
deny    AVI             No AVI movies           No AVI movies allowed
deny    MNG             No MNG/PNG movies       No MNG movies allowed
deny    QuickTime       No QuickTime movies     No QuickTime movies allowed
deny    ASF             No Windows media        No Windows media files allowed
#
deny    WMV             No Windows media        No Windows media files allowed
#deny   metafont        No Windows Metafont drawings    No WMF drawings allowed

and both of these files are referenced from:

%rules-dir%/filename.rules

which contains:

FromOrTo:       *@example.com  /etc/MailScanner/example.com.filename.rules.conf
FromOrTo:       default         /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf

and:

%rules-dir%/filetype.rules

which contains:

FromOrTo:       *@example.com   /etc/MailScanner/example.com.filetype.rules.conf
FromOrTo:       default         /etc/MailScanner/filetype.rules.conf

This setup should work, yet it doesn't. I send through WMV files and they just pass through.

After processing, those inbound MX servers deliver the emails to the remote destination Exchange server.

I have also tried the new options for "Deny Filenames =" and "Deny Filetypes =" presented with the newer MailScanner, by doing (in MailScanner.conf):

Deny Filenames = %rules-dir%/deny.filenames.rules
Deny Filetypes = %rules-dir%/deny.filetypes.rules

which contain:

# cat deny.filenames.rules
FromOrTo:       *@example.com       \.wmv$
FromOrTo:       default

# cat deny.filetypes.rules
FromOrTo:       *@example.com       \.wmv$
FromOrTo:       default

(I think that's the right format for those two files?)

and that also still allows through the wmv attachments.

Is there anything else I am missing here? if not, any ideas why this doesn't work or how I can get it to work?

Thanks.

Michael.