Set it and forget it?

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Tue Nov 27 14:06:33 GMT 2007

donald.dawson at bakerbotts.com wrote:
> I can't go along with 1 CPU system handling 1,000,000 message attempts,
> unless you are actually talking about very few being processed by MS/SA.
> We have 4 dual-core server-grade systems running MS and SA (no virus
> checking) and we can barely handle spam checking 500,000 emails.  Total
> emails and attempts are close to 1,000,000 but that is spread over 4
> servers.

Please Believe.

We intentionally understated the number messages than the system is
actually processing because we did not think anyone would believe
the actual stats; 2,715,696 MTA connections per day.

We are cheating a bit because this system has been under a continual
"Joe Job" DOS attack for a while now. About 1.5 M of the messages
each day are blow back from the DOS attack and pretty easy to dispose
of. Still that leaves about +1.2 M real messages / spam to sort through.

Here are the very current stats from the system:

Statistic                              Data

Delivery Attempts:                     40,172,344
Accepted messages:                     190,542
% Accepted messages:                   0.47%
Messages rejected by BarricadeMX:      39,981,802
% Messages rejected by BarricadeMX:    99.53%
Avg. Connections per second:           31.43
Avg. Connections per hour:             113,154
Avg Connections per day:               2,715,696
Current Active MTA Connections:        580
Max Simultaneous MTA Connections:      1,971
Load Average:                          1.0 to 1.5
Daily Bandwidth savings (KB):          43,245,045
Process Age (seconds):                 1,278,085
Process Age (days):                    14.79

And we have very very few complaints of false positives.

The processor is:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor    : 0
    vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
    cpu family   : 15
    model        : 4
    model name   : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
    stepping     : 10
    cpu MHz      : 3201.336
    cache size   : 2048 KB

And the memory is:

                 total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
    Mem:       2074952    1315632     759320          0      15312
39680
    -/+ buffers/cache:    1260640     814312
    Swap:      2031608     503808    1527800

The system is also running DefenderMX, our packaged version of MailScanner,
SpamAssassin et al. All messages that get through BarricadeMX are scanned
by DefenderMX.

And we are offering BarricadeMX software and support free for 60 days to
any
site that is suffering a DOS attack.

Best regards,

Steve