Set it and forget it?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 02:29:36 GMT 2007

Richard Lynch wrote:
> Kevin Miller wrote:
>> Julian Field wrote:
>>

>>> P.S. The post by Steve was not intended as an advert, but as a genuine
>>> suggestion of a very good solution to the original poster's problem.
>>>

>> Uh, lets see.  You and Steve offer free of charge, open to all comers
>> probably the most robust spam whollopping package around, including
>> support and frequent upgrades and you're worried that someone might
>> misconstrue your post as an advert?  Um, I'd say that we, the userbase,
>> have precious little to complain about in that arena even if you posted
>> a blantent advert daily...
Don't worry, we have no intention to advertise products anything like as
frequently as that!

> I agree completely.  I don't think it's somehow "evil" to discuss
> commercial products on this list.  That would be foolish when the
> product is within the scope of what MS does.  And in particular when
> it's a companion product for MS.  I run BarricadeMX on 5 MS boxes
> which handle 2+ million messages per day.  It's reasonably priced and
> works great.  It's been practically hassle free from the moment I put
> it in place.  I used to spend an enormous amount of time trying to
> keep our MS boxes running properly and keeping up with the influx of
> spam.  I no longer have to do that.
I'm glad to hear that it is saving you time, and hence money! That's our
aim.
No-one will buy a product that doesn't pay for itself in a few months.
BarricadeMX achieves that time and again. We have a stat that over 95%
of people who tried the beta bought the product. If that's not a
recommendation, I don't know what is :-)

We're doing one interesting installation at the moment for a company in
a country where bandwidth in or out of the country is extremely
expensive. So we have one MX outside the country running BarricadeMX
(and MailScanner, I believe) and limiting its connections to sites
outside the country, using IP address location software. And another MX
inside the country limiting its connections to sites inside the country.
So the only data crossing the border is clean email. We're saving them
so much bandwidth that the whole setup is paying for itself *very*
quickly indeed. Joe-job attacks no longer cost them anything. Very
interesting setup.

It's easy to install, and even easier to uninstall. So if you decide it
isn't for you, then taking it out again is pretty trivial. So why not
give it a go?

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng