Set it and forget it?

Ugo Bellavance ugob at lubik.ca
Mon Nov 26 16:17:52 GMT 2007

Steve Campbell wrote:
> I'm curious as to how much time is spent by most of the email admins
> here using MS. I realize that some of my efforts could be streamlined by
> upgrading to the latest release, but the people here seem to think that
> this is a "set it and forget it" type of operation.

I don't believe that.

> There is a real problem here in that people want all the mail they are
> supposed to get, and 100% trashing of the email they shouldn't get. I
> find that I spend a little time daily managing this stuff, but my system
> isn't like anyone else's who's system isn't like the next guy's .....

Well, the more time you spend on your system, the better it will run,
but don't worry, we do have some issues with our users as well!

> A specific question I have, though, would be:
>
> I think I was following a thread a while back about an RBL that has some
> specifics for blocking those "Address may be forged" emails (Zen or
> something like that). Can anyone elaborate on that for me and let me
> know how to set it up on my 4.52.2 version until I get it upgraded. I do
> all of my RBL checks in SA.

Well, using zen.spamhaus.org at the MTA level could help you a lot.
I've never seen a false positive from that list ever.

Regarding your question, "Address may be forged"... What address do you
mean, in your sendmail logs or e-mail address (spf, domain keys,
senderID, etc)?

Regards,

Ugo