OT: MS Exchange backups

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Fri Nov 23 21:04:13 GMT 2007

Ugo Bellavance a écrit :
> Denis Beauchemin wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I know this is not related to MS, but you guys know so much about
>> everything that I risk the question: what backup solution works with
>> MS Exchange?
>>
>> The admins responsible for our Exchange server tried Tivoli Storage
>> Manager (TSM) and Backup Exec but couldn't backup our 250GB data
>> within reasonable time: it takes about 48 hours to achieve one full
>> backup!  And this got worse when we added McAfee's GroupShield to the
>> mix...
>>
>> I think they use Backup Exec's "brick-level backup" to backup to a
>> local disk and then use this copy when they need to restore emails.
>> They first tried TSM but had to resort to restoring the full email DB
>> whenever they needed to restore one email...
>>
>> How could we do backups within a reasonable time?  The hw is pretty
>> decent...
>>
>> Thanks again for sharing your vast experience with others...
>>
>> Denis
>>

> What is the media used?

Ugo,

I'm not sure I understand your question...  it takes 48 hours to backup
to disk!

Of course, we can't afford to stop Exchange to either backup or restore
data.  Everything has to be done online...

Thanks!

Denis

--
   _