URIBL_SBL timeouts running MS in debug mode.

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Nov 23 18:06:40 GMT 2007

on 11/23/2007 12:38 AM Steve Freegard spake the following:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> I just found my servers are both firewalled, although we have less
>> than a tenth of the traffic that they say is allowed. I guess that
>> they found that money is more important than the good fight! I guess
>> I'm back to the njabl and the dsbl.
>
> Add Spamcop to that list (bl.spamcop.net) - it's much more reliable than
> it used to be, so it can be safely used at the MTA level now.  It is
> almost as effective as the SBL+XBL portions of Spamhaus from my own
> testing.
>
> Remember you can still query the CBL (cbl.abuseat.org) which forms the
> largest and most frequently changed part of the Zen dataset providing
> you fall under their usage terms as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve.
I think my system was querying twice since I blocked at MTA and spamassassin
was also looking up. I assumed that the caching nameserver would absorb these
double queries, but maybe I assumed wrong. I did add spamcop last night after
some log queries looking at spamassassin hits.
First day running looks like its already catching more than zen did, but who
knows how long it hadn't been working. Spam levels to the users hadn't
increased, but the server load had. I should have figured that spamassassin
was picking up the load. It has been so busy I had been neglecting my babies!
I am the only tech support for our entire company on PC related issues. My
boss handles mostly the midrange I-Series issues.
--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and