Experimental repository for RHEL 5 / Centos 5

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Nov 21 16:35:06 GMT 2007

on 11/21/2007 7:15 AM Julian Field spake the following:

> Brendan Pirie wrote:
>> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

>>> There is not really an optional thing in rpm terms. So if the
>>> requirement is defined one is stuck with the modules wether one uses
>>> them or not.
>>>
>>> I am not sure what would be wise here. Perhaps two wrappers instead of
>>> one. So the current one defines the absolute minimum and a
>>> mailscanner-wrapper-complete version that will pull in lots of other
>>> usefull modules as well as the basic wrapper but some of these extra
>>> modules may never be used depending on the configuration.
>>>
>>> In such case I would also like to describe them briefly. So one can
>>> discard the outer wrapper and then remove the unneeded modules with a
>>> small guidance.
>>>
>>> I am thinking along the lines of a text file with entries like:
>>>
>>>  <some MS config option>
>>>     Requires: <some perl module>
>>>
>>> Nothing fancy (TM).
>>>
>>> Feel free to think out loud on the matter. I didn't hesitate either ;-)
>>>
>>> Hugo.
>>>
>> Another possibility would be something like MailScanner.rpm for the
>> "most common" install options, and MailScanner-extras.rpm for features
>> not everyone needs as an additional rpm, instead of packaging
>> MailScanner twice.  This would also reduce space on the server and
>> bandwidth usage.
>>
>> Depending on needs/wants/opinions the "extras" could be further broken
>> down, such as MailScanner-spf.rpm, etc.. and people could install only
>> those extra features/packages they want.
> That is making it very complicated for new users to be able to use. They
> won't know what features/packages they want. It has to be *very* simple
> for new users to get a sane default setup that includes all the
> protection they are likely to need.
>
>> Just thinking out loud (pre-coffee) ;)
>>
>> Brendan
>>
>> P.S.  As a CentOS user myself, I naturally think a MailScanner
>> addition to rpmforge is a great idea! :)  (It also gives me another
>> argument for MailScanner when discussing MailScanner vs. Amavis with
>> fellow CentOS users)
>>

> Jules
Julian,
You would be the best one to say which modules, although they are listed in
MailScanner -V output as optional, would be a good choice to add to a system.
Or maybe some optional packages like a clamav-wrapper that pulls in no0t only
clamav, but clamd and perl-mail-clamav. That way the user has what he needs if
he wants to run clam by commandline, by perl module or by clamd. All these
options are already installed with Julian's script anyway, so I don't think it
is too much.
Otherwise I was just wanting some opinions so I could compile a list for
myself to stick in my docs.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and