Beginner Question

Andreas Kasenides Andreas.Kasenides at cs.ucy.ac.cy
Wed Nov 21 09:16:04 GMT 2007

I am a relatively newcomer to the MailScanner land but I have been
running mail servers
(sendmail for too many years to admit and postfix for the last 3 years)
and I have come
across this Postfix-with-MS incompatibility issue. Apparently the
Postfix developers
are seriously anti-MS because MS DOES not use their own way of message
passing
between the SMTP processes and the MS processes (apparently they
recommend LMTP).
I have read a lot of this on the Postfix lists and while there is a
serious issue of how
a message is moved from the SMTP service to the virus/spam-detecting
service  I have come to the
conclusion that there are only a couple of issues that need to be
clarified from the MS point of view
(the rest seems politics to me which I cannot comment since I do not
know the players involved):

1. How does MS make sure that when dealing with the incoming Postfix
queue it does not ake a mess
of it? In other words how does MS know that a message in the queue is
free and ready to be processed
and that Postfix is not working on it?
2. Apparently the Postfix guys believe that the queue file structure is
there own internal "thing"
which they do not or would not make public and if a new upgraded
structure is created MS will fail miserably
upon Postfix upgrade. Remember that MS depends on this structure to
properly make changes in the
files.

I was very suddened by the discussion in the Postfix lists. In my view
this sort of thing should
happen in the commercial software world, not on open source projects.
I would appreciate an answer (even if it is obvious) from somebody that
knows enough of the internals
of MS.

thanks!
Andreas Kasenides