Solaris syslog -- was Re: No Logging to Syslog: MailScanner 4.65.3-1 on Solaris 9

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Nov 18 22:59:50 GMT 2007

Julian Field wrote:

> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>> * PGP Signed by an unknown key
>
>> Glenn Steen wrote:

>>> I of course meant to say "Congratulations on your achievement", of course.
>>>
>> Is there a translation for those not following the British educational
>> system
>
> It's the Chartered Engineer status. You can't even apply for it unless
> you do the right accredited degree course, followed by a minimum of 10
> years practical experience in the field.
>
> And when you do apply, it's a pig of an application form showing you how
> learned and developed your engineering skills in every job you ever did
> that was IT-related. And then you get a 1 hour grilling in a formal
> interview with 3 interviewers from the Engineering Council who ask you
> to demonstrate how you have applied all your engineering skills in a
> wide range of projects you have undertaken over the years.

Right. I never mastered the skill of learning to get a piece of paper. I
simply can't be bothered to just for someone elses kicks. I learn
because I want to know and if there happens to be an exam then the exam
just sort of happens but I never learn just to pass that exam.

As such the TLA/FLA thing in signatures also happen to escape my
attention most of the times. In Jules case MailScanner is more of a
credit holder to me.

But that's just me. I just happen to work (or did work) for employers
who think such papers in itself do not tell that much.

Hugo.

- --