Red Hat EL 5 perl Update perl-5.8.8-10.el5_0.2

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Nov 7 17:04:24 GMT 2007

on 11/6/2007 5:19 PM Hugo van der Kooij spake the following:

> Götz Reinicke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd wanted to update my Mailscanner 4.63.8 secured Red Hat 5 mailserver
>> with the latest perl (perl-5.8.8-10.el5_0.2) rpm from Red Hat, but there
>> are a lot of conflicts with file from package installed by Mailscanner.
>>
>> e.g.: perl-Test-Simple-0.70-1, perl-Sys-Syslog-0.18-1, perl-bignum.
>>
>> So what may I do? Force the update of the Red Hat perl.rpm?
>>
>> Any suggestions??
>>
>> Thanks for hints and tips and for Mailscanner anyway!
>
> My approach was to pick the mailscanner rpm out of the total installer.
> Then see what it started to nag about when I try to install it manually
> and install all the additional packages from rpmforge.
>
> In effect it means one has to skip the use of the install script on
> Centos 5 and do a few things by hand. But it prevented me from getting
> any conflicts like you show now.
>
> I find the use of the --force option not a good way. Granted it is not
> as bad as `make love --force` but still ....
>
> Hmm. after this double shift I will go to bed now and see if I can make
> the few changes to the mailscanner spc file so it works with rpmforge
> later this week.
>
> Hugo.
Or make a dummy mailscanner-foo rpm that pulls all the requires and
mailscanner also -- that is if it ever makes it into rpmforge.
That way Julian doesn't have to re-write his install script if the new spec
makes it bork.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and