inodes problem

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 31 20:04:26 IST 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> Sarah Trayser spake the following on 5/31/2007 10:47 AM:
>
>> On 31/05/07, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>>

>>> A little off topic, but MailScanner systems get a big performance
>>> boost by
>>> running the /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/ directory in tmpfs. You
>>> would
>>> need to make sure that it didn't fill up, and it might be a permission
>>> problem
>>> in your setups.
>>>
>> This often cannot be done on a VPS which is why we do not configure it
>> that way in our setups.
>>

>>> The bug that was mentioned is several years old, and should be
>>> long gone.
>>> Do you have reports of other people with your setup having the same
>>> problem?
>>>
>> No, we have not come across this as a problem before. On one of our
>> own servers there are 700 of these old empty directories, on another
>> 350,  and on another only 150. I just had a look to see if I could
>> find any pattern and it does look like these are being left behind
>> *primarily* at the time of the nightly cPanel software update, so that
>> at least gives us a clue. MailScanner would be restarted following
>> this update.
>>

> Sometimes mailscanner benefits from a sleep of 10 or so seconds between a stop
> and a start. It gives the children some time to finish dying off.

I wonder if it's killing it, waiting for a couple of seconds for it to
die and then 'kill -9' it, without giving it long enough to clear up. My
init.d script gives is 30 seconds to clear up. Funnily enough, there's a
reason for that. If the cpanel authors think they know better, then what
can I say?

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP