Attachments messed up going to Exchange

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Wed May 30 17:47:16 IST 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Michael Crider wrote:

> We migrated from a hosted mail server to an in-house server one month ago,
> running CentOS 4.4, MailScanner 4.59.4, Postfix 2.2.10, ClamAV and
> SpamAssassin 3.1.7, initially installed from the howto at hughesjr.com, then
> fine tuned with the awesome info in FSL's manual and the mail list archives.
> Today is the first day with a problem that I haven't seen covered (may have
> overlooked). One of our users is trying to send an attachment to the USDA.
> She has tried both xls and pdf files. In both cases the person receiving it
> says he is only getting a .dat file. According to his email headers, he is
> using Exchange 6.0, and our user is using Thunderbird 2.0. She can email them
> to other users without a problem (have tested both local users and my home
> email account). His replies have all come back with the original email inline
> (no headers or attachments), so I can't tell where the problem is. She had
> emailed attachments to him as recently as April 3 through the hosted server
> without a problem, but I have no idea how it was configured (I know it ran
> SpamAssassin, but nothing beyond that). Has anyone else seen anything like
> this, or have suggestions on what I should look for? I don't know how
> computer literate he is, so I don't know how much to ask him (and Washington
> DC is a long way from Missouri for me to run over and look myself :).

Use tcpdump to check the inbound and outbound packets. With a smart filter
you should just get both and should be able to tell in which format the
message is received and in which format the message is send.

If you still send it ok it is a SEP and you can take the evening of.

That is how I tackle issues like this.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)