Attachment Warning Filename Question

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon May 28 15:59:35 IST 2007

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 28/05/07, johan.boye at latecoere.fr <johan.boye at latecoere.fr> wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> I've been just registered and I tried to click on link above & it fails,
>> same for you guys ?
>>         Welcome to the list. Before you post, *please* read
>> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting  (it's very short).
>
> Seems a redirect to
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=lists:posting_guidelines is
> lacking there... :-).
I'm working on this, with never-ending help and assistance (thank you
guys at Blacknight Solutions!).

>> Anyway, here is my question :
>>   I'm using Mailscanner since a couple of week and it works great. I
>> just have a question regarding the "Attachment Warning Filename"
>> functionnality.
>>   I wish send an email to the recipient when an email for him is
>> blocked, It activated that :
>>
>>     Warning Is Attachment = yes
>>     Attachment Warning Filename =
>> %report-dir%/stored.filename.message.txt
That option wants a filename to put into the delivered message, not the
contents of the file. Something like
Attachment Warning Filename = %org-name%-Attachments-Read-Me.txt
would be a suitable setting IIRC. It's what the replacement attachment
warning will be called, not what will go in it. If you can come up with
a better explanation than is currently in the MailScanner.conf file,
then please let me know, as the current explanation is far from ideal.

If you want to set the text to go into the Attachments-Read-Me.txt, then
you should be setting
# Set where to find the message text sent to users when one of their
# attachments has been deleted from a message.
# These can also be the filenames of rulesets.
Deleted Bad Content Message Report =
%report-dir%/deleted.content.message.txt
Deleted Bad Filename Message Report =
%report-dir%/deleted.filename.message.txt
Deleted Virus Message Report = %report-dir%/deleted.virus.message.txt
Deleted Size Message Report = %report-dir%/deleted.size.message.txt

# Set where to find the message text sent to users when one of their
# attachments has been deleted from a message and stored in the quarantine.
# These can also be the filenames of rulesets.
Stored Bad Content Message Report = %report-dir%/stored.content.message.txt
Stored Bad Filename Message Report =
%report-dir%/stored.filename.message.txt
Stored Virus Message Report = %report-dir%/stored.virus.message.txt
Stored Size Message Report = %report-dir%/stored.size.message.txt

>>  My default installation Mailscanner dir is : /opt/MailScanner/
>>  But this is not sending any email to the recipient, did i mist
>> something ?
>>

>>   Thanks by advance,
>>
>>     Johan
>
> Likely what you have there is OK, just that you never instruct MS to
> actually use it:-).
>
> Check your "Silent Viruses" and "Still Deliver Silent Viruses"
> settings, and perhaps some more (attachment "actions" for unacceptable
> attachment types etc).

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP