better blocking at MTA level (off-topic)

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sat May 26 11:16:21 IST 2007

On Sat, 26 May 2007, Koopmann, Jan-Peter wrote:

> On Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:40 AM Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>
>>          reject_invalid_hostname,
>>          reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
>>          reject_unknown_hostname
>>          reject_non_fqdn_sender,
>>          reject_unknown_sender_domain
>>          reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
>>          reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
>>          reject_unauth_destination
>>          check_policy_service unix:/var/spool/postfix/postgrey/socket
>
> I wish I could use all of those for strict testing. Unfortunatly too
> many legit senders of our clients are too stupid to setup their
> mail-servers correctly.

A part of these restrictions are quite common these days. If your
customers are still not setup correctly they will have trouble with a lot
of other organisations as well.

Even wxs.nl is now doing quite a few of these checks.

>> I have tested with Trend Micro RBL and you can take it yourself for a
>> spin for 30 days:
>>
> http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/enterprise/network-reputation-servi
> ces/index.html
>>
>> I am not sure you will like the pricetag but they are pretty good for
>> a RBL.
>
> Just requested an eval. Thanks for the hint. Do you have an appr. price
> for the two RBLs? I cannot find any on their web-page. What about
> false-positives and a comparison to spamhouse etc.? Is TM that much
> better and worth the price?

I would not have clue about the pricetag. (I'm an engineer, not a salesman
;-) Trend bought the RBL service in the past by taking over MAPS (or
rather the owner of MAPS) which was among the top of the paid RBL's.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)