PF2.4 support - was Re: feature request: compress attachments

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri May 25 14:31:45 IST 2007

On 24/05/07, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/05/07, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Glen,
> >
> > My brain is not well enough to get my head round this stuff. It's all
> > washing in through my eyes and straight out of my ears unfortunately.
> >
> > Is there any chance you could find time to implement the 2.4 support as
> > you say you already have an idea how to do it anyway please?
> >
> > Once you're convinced it works, I'll then just adopt your patches.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm just not up to doing this myself, but would very much like to
> > get full PF support in as soon as possible.
> >
> > If you can generate a few test messages for me, I'll then test your code
> > and hopefully start to gain a bit of insight into how it works.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Jules.
>
> I'll see what I can do... The problem is testing it all... Very timeconsuming.
> I found the first draft for 2.4 support, but ... it needs testing...
> I'll see what I can do, perhaps this weekend.

Ok, found some time right now... I've tested this mainly with
handcrafted queue files, and in my production (which does not use a
body editing/replacing milter...), without any discernible bad effect.
There is a price though, since we exchange a nice/fast seek with a
semi-convoluted loop.

The code is ugly, and could well bear with some constructive
critisism... and if some sharp (postmix-friendly:-) minds like Dhawal,
Drew, Joshua, Phil (Uxbod) or Gerhard could find some time to
test/read/verify both the thinking and code, that would be much
appreciated. Even some non-postfix-liking minds would be very much
appreciated (That means you, oh evil bunny;-).
It should be good enough for a beta:-). So if you feel up to it, and
don't think it too massive a thing Jules...:-)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn