yum based install

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu May 24 20:06:32 IST 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007, Julian Field wrote:

>>> Do I need to do anything to make yum installs work more easily?
>>>
>> I think it was mentioned near the top of this message about adding the
>> dependency for perl-Filesys-Df. If the rpm has the proper requires,
> The problem with that is it doesn't help you if you have installed any
> of the Perl modules using CPAN. This is why the MailScanner rpm file
> doesn't have a long "requires" list containing all the Perl modules it
> needs. If you have any of the Perl modules installed via CPAN, you have
> the module but don't have the RPM for it.

Well this requirement is only for the package in the repository.

If one installs perl from CPAN then one is unlikely to use yum just to
install mailscanner. But for those that perfer to let the package manager
take care of it the package.

Dag also expressed his interrest in adding mailscanner to rpmforge if you
feel uncomfortable with maintaing a repository.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)