locking bayes?

Greg Matthews gmatt at nerc.ac.uk
Mon May 21 16:02:52 IST 2007

Julian Field wrote:

> As opposed to actually stopping (ie shutting down) MailScanner, why not
> just suspend the processes?
>
> PID=`cat /var/run/MailScanner.pid`
> kill -STOP -$PID
> # Do your snapshot here
> kill -CONT -$PID

without testing it (my dev box is currently in the middle of testing
something else) I would expect to have to hang around waiting for the
child processes to finish or will they all be "stopped" too?

> Will Bayes survive that?

I dont think it will be much different from taking a snap of the live
database as presumably it could still be inconsistent, ie partial
commits etc.

ah nevermind... dont think its that important!

Greg Matthews           01491 692445
Head of UNIX/Linux, iTSS Wallingford