Bayes disk space usage fast increase

Aaron K. Moore amoore at dekalbmemorial.com
Thu May 17 14:29:39 IST 2007

Gareth wrote:
> I would let mailscanner do it and that way it will wait until the
> rebuild is finished. If you let spamassassin do it then you will need
> to increase the timeout to a sufficiently long time which could cause
> you problems in the future if a ruleset starts taking too long to run
> and slows down your processing.

I found that configuring SpamAssassin to store the bayes database in SQL
increased system performance on our system.  I have disabled the
expiration run in MailScanner, and have wrote a script that I run from
cron that shuts down MailScanner, runs the expiration, dumps the bayes
database, and then restarts MailScanner.

I also keep the auto-whitelist in a SQL database and have wrote a few
custom scripts to purge unused entries.

If anyone is interested, I could probably write up some documentation
and upload them somewhere.

--
Aaron Kent Moore
Information Technology Services