OT: sendmail greetpause ruleset

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Wed May 16 17:02:53 IST 2007

I've been running sendmail with the greetpause feature for some time
now, and using the access file to exempt some of my users' home
computers from the greetpause delay.  Recently I added an MSA on port
587 for traveling users.  It only accepts authenticated users so I'd
like to turn off the greetpause feature completely for that port, but
keep it for the standard MTA on port 25.

in sendmail.mc I have:

FEATURE(`greet_pause', `3500')dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl

I saw the following suggestion in a sendmail archive, but I haven't been
able to get it working:

LOCAL_RULESETS
SLocal_greet_pause
R$*     $: $&{daemon_port}
Rsubmission     $# 0

Is the RULESET meant to replace the FEATURE(`greet_pause) or be in
addition to it?

Am I supposed to replace the {daemon_port} with a real port number?

Or is there a better way altogether to accomplish this? I had hoped for
a simple entry in the access file but haven't been able to see how to
apply an access rule to a specific port.

Any guidance appreciated,
Mark