Bayes disk space usage fast increase

Fabien GARZIANO fabien.garziano at caliseo.com
Wed May 16 10:39:17 IST 2007

Hi,

I'm stuck on an issue with my MailScanner mail gateway, actually with
the bayesian database. I don't use any database so my bayesian files are
on my /var FS. Since 2 days, disk space usage is fastly increasing and
I'll soon be short of disk space. As far as I can see in logs, I don't
find any explanation about this. I've looked in the FAQ on the website,
and I don't see any thing like this.
I've checked
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BayesFaq?highlight=%28bayes%29
I've also tried to look in the mail archive but without success.

My baysian files are in the default dir =>
/var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin

[root at califw3 spamassassin]# pwd
/var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin
[root at califw3 spamassassin]# du -h
731M    .

[root at califw3 MailScanner]# spamassassin -D --lint
debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.5
[...]
debug: bayes: 19794 tie-ing to DB file R/O
/root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 19794 tie-ing to DB file R/O
/root/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
debug: bayes: found bayes db version 3
debug: bayes: Not available for scanning, only 0 spam(s) in Bayes DB <
200
debug: bayes: 19794 untie-ing
debug: bayes: 19794 untie-ing db_toks
debug: bayes: 19794 untie-ing db_seen

Now, that's weird, cause I received some spam this morning, and bayes
scored them.

For information :
[root at califw3 MailScanner]# MailScanner -v
Running on
Linux califw3.caliseo.fr 2.6.16-1.2108_FC4 #1 Thu May 4 23:52:01 EDT
2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
This is Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)
This is Perl version 5.008006 (5.8.6)
This is MailScanner version 4.53.8

Is this behaviour usual ? I've been runnig this gateway for 1 year now,
and that's the first time I got something like this. Anyone met this
behaviour already ?
Is there a way to limit bayes space usage ?

Thanks !