mailscanner error, but doesn't appear to affect delivery?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue May 15 22:37:47 IST 2007

Daniel Maher spake the following on 5/15/2007 2:02 PM:
>> Its looking to use /dev/shm.
>>
>> I had the same issue.  Once I setup fstab to load /dev/shm and mounted
>> it.. the error went away.
>>
>> For some odd reason, with the newest release of MailScanner.. it
>> actually wants spamassassin to use /dev/shm.. which actually helps speed
>> up scan times.
>>
>> However, in previous versions, I found the same "if /dev/shm exists use
>> it" for SA and it wasn't being used... but suddenly it does hehe.
>>
>> Invoking MailScanner in debug mode would've helped you to figure this out
>> :)
>
> If it's looking to use /dev/shm, it's welcome to do so:
>
> # grep shm /etc/fstab
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
>
> That said, I restarted mailscanner a few times - just for fun - and now the error has disappeared.  I'm happy that the error is gone, but not as pleased about the fact that waving a dead chicken around seemed to solve it.
>
> Any further insight would be most welcome.
Waving the dead chicken is the current acceptable practice these days.
Especially since the PETA people stopped us from waving LIVE chickens! ;-P

Sacrificing old DAT tapes has also worked for some, as has chanting lines from
Monty Python or The Hitchhikers Guide...

If the error is gone, and doesn't come back, you fixed it.. Pat yourself on
the back and go on to the hundreds of other problems that have probably come
in to your inbox since you were working on this one.  If it does come back,
then you probably need to dig deeper.
I know this doesn't seem to be the best way to deal with it, but it works, and
it will let you have a few minutes of free time once in a while.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and