Preferred Distribution

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 10 20:39:44 IST 2007

Damon Lambooy wrote:
> I am tring to install Mailscanner  4.59.4-2 on Fedora 7 test 4 but
> getting strange error about rpms not being installed.
>
> [root at mailex MailScanner-4.59.4-2]# ./install.sh
>

> Good. You have the patch command.
>
> Good, you have /usr/src/redhat in place.
>
> Good, unpackaged files will not break the build process.
> Good, far-too-clever Perl requirements will be ignored.
>
> Good, you appear to only have 1 copy of Perl installed.
>
> I think you are running on RedHat Linux, Mandriva Linux or SuSE Linux.
> You must have the following RPM packages installed before
> you try and do anything else:
>        binutils glibc-devel egcs make
> You are missing at least 1 of these.
> Please install them all
Do you have gcc installed?
Fedora has probably just hit a problem caused by my being short-sighted
in the install.sh script.

  if [ -f /etc/redhat-release ] && fgrep -q ' 6.' /etc/redhat-release ; then
      # RedHat used egcs in RedHat 6 and not gcc
      GCC=egcs
  fi

So if it finds "6." in the redhat-release file then it won't look for
gcc, it will look for egcs. What exactly does your /etc/redhat-release
file say? If you can give me that I can work on the install.sh script
and produce a new version for you that will work. I can probably just
abandon the RedHat 6 test altogether now. Anyone still running it
deserves all they get :-)
Just delete those 4 lines.

Jules

- --