Preferred Distribution

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Thu May 10 14:14:25 IST 2007

On 05/10/2007 03:00 PM, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> I am having to setup a couple of new mailservers where
 > I am working on contract at the moment, using Dell
 > SC1435 rack mounts.
 > The problem is that RedHat ES4 kernel is so old does
 > not recognise the SAS RAID card.
>
> Now my question is should I get them to purchase
 > RHES5,

If you don't need support, there's no need for EL5.

 > or go for either CentOS or Fedora ?

Both is fine. Fedora should recognize it AFAIK.

> Personally I would use Gentoo or Ubuntu, but they
 > are really *not* happy in using either of them
 > for a corporate system :(

Ubuntu is not really a server OS. Gentoo; I don't if you can manage a
couple of servers with Gentoo - Software distribution, Updates, ...

MS and Fedora are playing good together from my experience....

-of