Clever bots - was Re: Multi (split) image spam

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Mon May 7 06:41:03 IST 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Andrew MacLachlan wrote:

> That's right - most are 5 mins, which is about right for most MTAs first retry.
> Any decent greylister will tell an early retry to go away again, but either more spammers are using MTAs or the bots are getting cleverer. I'd say the latter is more likely.
> A cursory glance at a couple of spams from today gives me headers like this:

> Interestingly the delay was over 10 mins by a second or 2 - so this means that grey needs to extend to 11 mins... Not sure what the effect of this will be - is  the bot smart enough to retry again if rejected at 10 mins?

Given that disabling greylisting still results in a significant rise of
traffic for MailScanner I would say it is a usefull addition to the bag of
tricks at this time.

At irregular intervals I play with some of them to see if disabling a
restriction is having an effect. At this point I wrote a small script to
report on greylisted entries daily and have added all the noisy entries to
a static blacklist.

The first way I added was abo.wanadoo.fr and it had an immediate impact.
Wanadoo users will need to send through their ISP mailserver to get a
message delivered.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)