SpamAssassin 3.2.0

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Fri May 4 19:31:40 IST 2007

Julian Field wrote:
> Well, as someone else has already said, it's been released.
>
> Its list of requirements has grown quite a lot. In addition to whatever
> else you already have from an existing SA install, you need to install
> this load of Perl modules, in this order:
>
>       YAML -- requires y\n in perl Makefile.PL
>       ExtUtils::CBuilder
>       ExtUtils::ParseXS
>     Module::Build
>       version
>     Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable
>     Error
>     NetAddr::IP
>     Net::DNS >=0.58
>     Data::Dump
>   Encode::Detect
>   Mail::SPF
> Mail::SpamAssassin -- requires \n in perl Makefile.PL
>
> It puts in a v320.pre into /etc/mail/spamassassin and comes with a load
> of new plugins. Some of them are loaded by the default supplied v320.pre
> file, but here are the ones that aren't:
>
>                           Hashcash.pm             Rule2XSBody.pm
> ASN.pm                                            SpamCop.pm
> AutoLearnThreshold.pm                             SPF.pm
> AWL.pm                                            Test.pm
>                                                   TextCat.pm
>                           MIMEHeader.pm
> BodyRuleBaseExtractor.pm  OneLineBodyRuleType.pm  URIDNSBL.pm
>                           Pyzor.pm
> DCC.pm                    Razor2.pm
>                           RelayCountry.pm         WhiteListSubject.pm
>                           ReplaceTags.pm

Julian, Some of those plugins ARE loaded by default, but are loaded via older
.pre files. And yes, SA does parse *ALL* of the .pre files, and you need to have
ALL of them to work properly.

The whole idea of the multiple .pre files is that as new plugins are added, SA
doesn't have to do a config-merge. All it does is add the new .pre file that
supports the new plugins. Your choices about what plugins from 3.1.0 or 3.0.0 to
load won't be affected, and will remain in-place in your old .pre files.

Of the above plugins:
init.pre (SA 3.0.0) loads:
	URIDNSBL
	SPF
v310.pre loads:
	Spamcop
	DCC (disabled by default)
	Pyzor
	Razor2
	AWL
	AutoLearnThreshold
	TextCat (disabled by default)
	WhiteListSubject
	MimeHeader
	ReplaceTags
	DomainKeys (disabled by default)
v312.pre loads:
	DKIM (disabled by default)

V320.pre only handles the new plugins for 3.2.0, most of which are things that
used to be hard-coded into EvalTests.pm.

> My next step is to read the man pages for all of these, and work out
> which ones you probably want to load and which ones you don't, so that
> my install script can set you up with a sensible system.

You really shouldn't have to do that for all of them. Only look at the ones that
aren't loaded by default.

> One thing I'm
> not installing is support for DKIM which, although available, requires
> so many pre-requisites that it's not feasible for me to do here. You
> have to start at the OpenSSL libraries and work your way up :-(

Makes sense, that's a v312.pre thing.