IP address reputation, BorderWare

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Thu Mar 29 19:45:19 CEST 2007

Rick Chadderdon wrote:
> Chris Yuzik wrote:
>> Rick,
>>
>> I've been thinking about this issue at length, and agree that it is a
>> complex one.
>>
>> <soapbox>
>> After much analysis, I consider responding to incoming SAV lookups on
>> our end to simply be part of the deal with hosting a domain, much as
>> is responding to DNS queries about the domain, subdomains, etc. As
>> host to a domain, I believe it is my server's responsibility to
>> answer queries regarding SAV, in an effort to defend a domain name's
>> reputation including that of the company behind the domain name.
>> </soapbox>
>
> And I respect your decision to accept that responsibility.  I would
> also do so quite willingly if it was a normal part of a mail server's
> load, or even an option that most MTAs came with by default.  Hm.  Is
> it?  Postfix does.  What about the other big ones?  Which ones
> do/don't?  Addons and milters don't count.
>
>> If your server gets spam allegedly from my domain, please, by all
>> means, do whatever you can to ensure that the mail really did
>> originate from us before letting it in to your user's inboxes,
>> including SAV.
>
> I'm not sure I'll ever be comfortable using SAV, even if it does turn
> out to exist in most MTAs.  But thanks for your kind permission.  :)
>
> Rick
Rick,

Although we apparently see this issue from two opposing sides, I really
appreciate hearing your perspective. I'm not sure if anyone's opinion or
actions were changed one way or the other as a result of the
conversation, but a good debate is always useful, IMHO. And in the end,
we wear hats of the same colour and continue our battle against the dark
side.

Here's to continuing the good fight!

Cheers,
Chris