Perl Path

shuttlebox shuttlebox at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:50:06 CEST 2007

On 3/27/07, Bob Jones <bob.jones at usg.edu> wrote:
> I brought this up quite a while back (over a year ago I think) and no
> one really seemed to see an issue.  I'm in the situation where I can't
> just replace /usr/bin/perl with a symlink as I have things that depend
> on the OS provided perl that is there so I have to point to the
> different perl I install with.  What I end up doing is running a script
> that will go through each of the directories under /opt/Mailscanner and
> change any reference to /usr/bin/perl to the correct perl after every
> upgrade.  A pain, I know, but what can you do if people don't see the
> problem.

Maybe you could post your script to the list as something Julian could
integrate into the install script? Help him out a little.

> What has yet to be explained to me properly is if you are forced to use
> /usr/bin/perl to run Mailscanner, then why offer the option of
> specifying the perl path in the install script.  Just have it check that
> /usr/bin/perl is there and if not bomb out.  Don't pretend like you
> allow the user to specify the perl path and then really don't.

Luckily for me in Solaris /usr/bin/perl is already a symlink and the
system uses hard coded paths to the perl binary for its own needs so I
can replace the symlink without breaking anything. I would like it
fixed too though.

--
/peter