Perl Path

Bob Jones bob.jones at usg.edu
Tue Mar 27 14:26:54 CEST 2007

Thus spake --[ UxBoD ]--, with impeccable timing on 3/21/2007 4:37 AM:
> Hi,
>
> I have just built a new server based on RHES4 and have built all the
> executables from source ie. perl, mysql, apache, php etc etc ...
>
> When I built MailScanner I used the source and ran install.sh
> --perl=/usr/local/smartmail/bin/perl which installed all the modules
> fine. Though one thing I have noticed is that in the top of all the
> MailScanner code the perl path still points to /usr/bin/perl. I
> wondered why it wasn't working correctly ;)
>
> Is it worth changing the install script so that if the --perl option
> is used then the perl binary path in all scripts is changed aswell ?
>
> Thoughts?

I brought this up quite a while back (over a year ago I think) and no
one really seemed to see an issue.  I'm in the situation where I can't
just replace /usr/bin/perl with a symlink as I have things that depend
on the OS provided perl that is there so I have to point to the
different perl I install with.  What I end up doing is running a script
that will go through each of the directories under /opt/Mailscanner and
change any reference to /usr/bin/perl to the correct perl after every
upgrade.  A pain, I know, but what can you do if people don't see the
problem.

What has yet to be explained to me properly is if you are forced to use
/usr/bin/perl to run Mailscanner, then why offer the option of
specifying the perl path in the install script.  Just have it check that
/usr/bin/perl is there and if not bomb out.  Don't pretend like you
allow the user to specify the perl path and then really don't.

Bob