Exchange/Outlook Specific Settings?

Koopmann, Jan-Peter jan-peter at koopmann.eu
Tue Mar 27 23:41:01 CEST 2007

On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:06 PM Paul Hutchings wrote:

> So, given the environment which is 99.9% Outlook sending through
> Exchange which smarthosts to the relay box, are there any suggested
> tweaks to MailScanner?

Configure Exchange to reject mails for unknown recipients (possible in Exchange 2003 upwards) and teach postfix to "ask" the exchange server, if an RCPT TO is valid before accepting mail for it. Not sure how this is done in Postfix since I do it with exim but I am sure postfix has some way to do this.

> I tend to do most of my attachment filtering via Postfix mime header
> checks and given how diverse our userbase is I have disabled

Why? I might be wrong but consider an EXE file renamed in EX_ and put into an zip archive. You might want to allow zips but disallow executables. Can this be done by a "simple" mime header check? It can be done with MailScanner.

Kind regards

Jan-Peter Koopmann