Different Send/Receive Virus Notifications?

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Tue Mar 27 22:20:54 CEST 2007

Paul Hutchings wrote:
> Our Firewall only allows outbound smtp from our Exchange server so it
> should be the only thing talking to the relay from our network.
> Our Exchange server only allows authenticated SMTP so in theory a
> worm/virus shouldn't be able to get it to accept and relay mail?
> Because of this it would have to be a MAPI virus sent via Outlook which
> would not allow the Sender "From" address to be faked.
> We have very well regarded A/V on the Exchange server so I would hope
> it's never going to happen to begin with :)
>
> Not sure if anyone here uses Exchange/Outlook but that was the thinking
> behind it.

IIRC, Exchange would allow messages that are both ("to your domain"
**and** "apparently from your domain") without authentication since it
thinks it's the owner of that domain. That being said, a
"virus"/worm/whatever could fake the from as someone else from your
domain, and send something "to" someone at your domain, leading you on a
wild goose chase. I'm not sure many MAPI viruses are still out in the
wild, but I don't suppose it would be difficult for such viruses to fake
the from, even MAPI-wise (although IANAP).

Example:

Alice's machine sends a message "from bob at yourdomain.com" and "to
charlie at yourdomain.com". You spend some time looking at Bob's PC while
Alice keeps spewing out stuff unknowingly.