Alternative to /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

René Berber r.berber at computer.org
Sat Mar 24 20:34:36 CET 2007

John Schmerold wrote:

> I learned about /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf a few weeks ago, now I
> find myself adding quite a few rules like this:

Wrong list?

This is the MailScanner list, not the SpamAssassin list... and the MS
documentation says "leave local.cf alone and use mailscanner.cf".

> score    LOCAL__H_from_newegg  -2.5
> header   LOCAL__H_from_newegg     From =~ /newegg\.com/i
> describe LOCAL__H_from_newegg     newegg announcements
>
> I don't want to open the door to every idiot that forges NewEgg's email,
> so I don't want to whitelist newegg.
>
> The problem is I'm starting to get a lot of these rules and maintaining
> the list is getting more problematic, not to mention subject to human
> error.
>
> Anyone know of a better way to tell MailScanner &/or SpamAssassin to
> reduce the score by a few points when the sending is included in a list
> of domains?

That's what "white-listing" is for, it is documented in several places, the MS
configuration file directs you to use the etc/rules/spam.whitelist.rules file,
which has its own comments that show how to use it.
--
René Berber