MailScanner gateway stats

Paul Baily gen2lists at paulbaily.com
Thu Mar 22 10:22:46 CET 2007

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ or semi-OT, I did try searching
the archives for an answer, really I did.

I'm about to put a MailScanner/MailWatch/sendmail/spamassassin
machine into production for the uni I work at and would dearly like
to be able to produce some stats on how it's doing for Those That
Manage (But Do Not Know Better.)

My question is what do you use for high level trend reporting traffic
stats? MailWatch itself? MailScanner-MRTG? Mailgraph? Vispan?

I currently have charts available via MailWatch and MailScanner-MRTG
but have also been trying to get trend analysis-type reports going
via mailgraph since it provides really good day/week/month/year
charts. The problem I'm having is that this is a gateway to an
internal email system, and I'm trying to get mailgraph to accurately
identify inbound and outbound traffic from a site context. Going from
a gateway perspective (which is what it's currently doing) each email
is logged as a sent email regardless of whether it's inbound or
outbound sitewise.

I'm guessing this is really a question of working out the correct
regexes for mailgraph for each smtp transaction, but I just thought
I'd ask in case anyone else has tried the same and has either hit a
working solution or has given up and gone for something like Vispan.

thanks in advance for your time and apologies for the semi-OTness.

Paul.