Additional recipients within same lose mail when quarantined/released...

am.lists am.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:30:13 CET 2007

> > Also, let's consider why I'm after this article:  the original post:
> > about releasing properly to multiple recipients from within MailWatch.
> > It was confusing to me that if I went out and grabbed mini_sendmail
> > that I wouldn't need the postfix instance on port 10027. But it seems
> > that the mini_sendmail is just a remailer, telling it to connect to
> > localhost:10027... which implies that the 10027 instance /does/ need
> > to be there.
> I'm not sure I follow you here... It should be fairly obvious that
> that part of it was written at two different times, the first when I
> was just theorising about necessary tools to overcome the whole "how
> do I release mail when I no longer can whitelist 127.0.0.1" problem,
> the second a more thorough job on describing how to go about it... I'm
> fairly certain I never imply what you're saying above. But then again,
> the wording is a bit messy:-).

I guess it wasn't clear to me but if you see below, I did miss a step. :)

> > And... I'm not sure if it was needed or not, but I created
> > /etc/init.d/postfix.in - copied from /etc/init.d/postfix, adding -c
> > /etc/postfix.in as the config files to use. It wasn't clear if this
> > was needed or not.
> Why would you do a silly thing like that? Didn't you read step #13? It
> rather clearly (IMO:-) states that the MailScanner init script will
> find and use both instances.

Completely missed that... Obviously MailScanner was intended with the
possible use of second postfix.in instance in the startup script
already. Now that I see it, I understand it.

> > I run as a gateway, and as such, rely on whitelisting 127.0.0.1 for
> > releasing. The doc says to remove whitelisting of 127.0.0.1. But then
> > what? I understand that it needs to be removed to pass the mail from
> > one spool to the other, but how do I then resend it back out without
> > the double (or looping) scanning?
>
> The whole ending note is _only_ about solving this problem.... After
> the "And the time is now:-)"... Did you read that part carefully?

Perhaps it would be more clear if you said something to the tune of
"because we can't just whitelist everything from 127.0.0.1, as that
would no longer check spam, we accomplish it by using a special
instance of postfix on port 10027 that has the whitelist configured
within the instance."    Just a suggestion, I'm not even sure I have
that 100% right, but I think so.

> > As of now, I've executed a rollback. But I'm missing something I
> > think. If you have any ideas on what I've not done correctly, I'd love
> > to hear.
> >
> > Backout:
> >
> > Restored /etc/postfix-bak to /etc/postfix  (I copied it to -bak before
> > I started mucking)
> > Restored /var/www/html/mailscanner-bak to /var/www/html/mailscanner
> > Removed /etc/init.d/postfix.in
> >
> > To be sure, I init-6'ed. Now, after the reboot, no mail is coming
> > through, everything appears to be going into the
> > /var/spool/postfix.in/hold directory. (I know this based on the reboot
> > being at 15:09 and files in /var/spool/postfix.in/hold having a 15:18
> > timestamp.
>
> Did you muck about further with the init scripts? That might be something...
> I'm off to my commuter train, but ... keep me posted, I'll take up the
> thread once I'm home.

Actually, a second init 6 seems to have things moving again.

I notice 200+ files in /var/spool/postfix.in/hold -- I'm guessing it's
safe to simply cp them over to /var/spool/postfix/hold and be
processed?

Angelo