Message Blocked

Rick Chadderdon mailscanner at yeticomputers.com
Thu Mar 15 18:55:12 CET 2007

Fabio Silva wrote:
> Hi all... i again... i checked the file and i can see that is a MS-DOC
> executable.... but... how to solve it? because it isnt an executable
> file... has any way to solve it??
>

> # file
> /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20070313/D71E1215BF1.1B141/msg-29120-102.txt
>
> /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20070313/D71E1215BF1.1B141/msg-29120-102.txt:
>
> MS-DOS executable (COM)

The file command looks for sequences of characters in certain positions
within a file to identify the filetype.  Sometimes, a text file will
contain the sequence used to identify a particular kind of file in
exactly the same position.  This is relatively rare, but it happens from
time to time.  My magic file (which is used to determine which sequences
are expected where) lists probably a dozen possible byte sequences for
an MS-DOS com file.  Your text file probably just matches one of those.

It does seem, however, that your text file is not an attachment put on
there by the original sender.  I've seem files named like that when an
Outlook "winmail.dat" file was decoded and reattached by MailScanner.
Have you actually looked at the contents of the file?

Rick