Additional recipients within same lose mail whenquarantined/released...

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Mar 15 14:05:51 CET 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "am.lists" <am.lists at gmail.com>
To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:40 PM
Subject: Additional recipients within same lose mail
whenquarantined/released...

> Sorry for the ramble of a subject line, but what I'm seeing is
> essentially lost mail to additional recipients.
>
> Scenario: (Config: Postfix, Mailscanner, Mailwatch.)
>
> Bob sends John and Mary an email. It gets tagged as spam. Both are at
> somedomain.net. As John's listed as the first to address in the
> envelope, he gets the message in his quarantine. He releases it. Mary
> knows nothing of the email. No quarantine file for her (in MailWatch),
> and when John releases it, it only goes to John.
>
> Variation:
>
> Bob sends to Tom and John. John is at somedomain.net but Tom is at
> anotherdomain.us. Both are handled by my mailscanner. Same exact
> behavior as above.
>
> I've been googling this and the solutions I've found have been really
> ancient (2003 vintage), and as such, several versions of released code
> old.
>
> I'm wondering if there's some new way of fixing this issue? I don't
> particularly want to rig up a second instance of postfix on some odd
> port just to fix this... unless I have to. 8-(
>
> Angelo

I'd blacklist Bob, he seems to be a problem sender;-)

Now, for an alternate, and more serious reply.

I believe this is the normal way for Mailwatch to handle things in the
current release. If you are referring to a way to search in Reports for all
email to, say, John or Mary, in the above examples, you can use the Filter:

To:
contains
%John%

or replace %John% with  %Mary%.

I'm not sure if the daily reports go to John or Mary indicating a blocked
email. If not, you might try hacking the report code to do something similar
to the above filter.

I don't believe there are separate quarantine files for different
individuals, either. So to solve this, you would probably need to break all
multiple-recipient emails into individual emails. This has been discussed
quite thoroughly on the list at different times as to why and how to do it.

There is also the 'alternative recipient' section of releasing email once
you have discovered John and Mary are missing email.

I realize this isn't a definitive answer, but hope it helps in some way.

Steve