OT: PHB time...

Michael Masse mrm at medicine.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 13 22:09:43 CET 2007

>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Kevin Miller wrote:
>>
>> > OK, so my boss who is normally an otherwise reasonable guy, calls
me
>> > into his office and says one of the department heads wants out of
office
>> > turned on for internet mail.  He knows that people are tarred and
>> > feathered for doing that on mail lists, but thinks that the mail
lists
>> > should be filtering those - that with a short case statement they
could
>> > easily do that.  I tried to persuade him otherwise, but he's going
>> > poll the other directors and see if it's something they want.  Of
course
>> > they will, not understanding a broader perspective.  Sigh.

Ask if his personal or the company's reputation matter, because that's
what's going to suffer when that person's autoreplies are bouncing
around back and forth on all of those lists pissing people off.    In
regards to his belief that lists should be filtering the autoreplies.
Lots of people believe things should work a certain way.  Some people
believe bottom posting is taboo.  I believe that I should be able to
legally ignore all speed limits on the highway, but how much of a chance
do you think I have of that happening?   The percentage is about the
same as all email lists filtering out autoreplies.

Mike