Spam score is negative, yet message is still marked as spam

Jonathan B Bayer jbayer at bayertechnologygroup.com
Mon Mar 12 14:37:35 CET 2007

Hello mailscanner,

Hello all.

I have a new installation of MailScanner installed on a new mail
server.  The basic configuration is:

RedHat Enterprise 3
Postfix 2.1.3
Mailscanner 4.58.9-1

One of the users has been sending messages to the company president.
These messages are being marked as spam and moved to the spam folder.

However, when I examined the message headers, I found the following:

X-*****************_com-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the ISP for more information
X-*****************_com-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-*****************_com-MailScanner-SpamCheck: spam, spamhaus-ZEN,
 SpamAssassin (not cached, score=-4.17, required 6,
 autolearn=not spam, ALL_TRUSTED -1.80, BAYES_00 -2.60,
 HTML_MESSAGE 0.00, HTML_TAG_BALANCE_BODY 0.23)
X-*****************_com-MailScanner-From: dmakhijani@*****************.com

and the subject had the {Spam?}  inserted.

Why would this be marked as spam, if the score is -4.17 ?

What's even stranger is that the user's computer connects directly
with the mail server to send the email, so it isn't even going through
another relay.

Thanks in advance.

JBB
---
Superior solutions for small business, home office and home users

Jonathan B Bayer,CEO           mailto:jbayer at BayerTechnologyGroup.com
Bayer Technology Group         Work: (609) 632-1200
23 Exeter Rd.                  Mobile: (609) 658-9408
East Windsor, NJ 08520