dealing with dictionary attacks

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 10:41:32 CET 2007

On 08/03/07, Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Ed Bruce wrote:
>
> > Why is only Postfix discussions being asked to take it off list. I see
> > many topics about sendmail, clamav, and spamassassin.
>
> We chip em when we see em, SA is close related to MS, a damned sight
> more than postfix, majority of MTA issues are completely unrelated to
> this list and should never be posted here, it is done because people are
> lazy to google or too lazy to sub to another list.
I do agree that these aren't related, and mostly due to laziness...
and shouldn't be "aired" here.

> The frequence of postfix related topics is high for obvious reasons,
> those using sendmail, qmail and exim rarely have problems, PF is a higher
> maintenance MTA for users of MS compared to the formers.
The frequency of unrelated Sendmail and Postfix posts are actually
quite close. Methinks you are mixing things a bit here Res, there are
quite a few _related_ posts about PF, which simply wouldn't count...
And for that matter a few related Sendmail posts, true, but less so
than for PF.
The MTAs that are really quiet on this list (unrelated stuff-wise:-),
are Qmail (since this list does not handle that MS port, anything
about it is mostly unrelated... Now, who is it that usually posts
about that MTA:-):-), Exim and Zmailer ... Either not used much, or a
very well-behaved crowd;-).

But I do understand the psycoligy behind all the unrelated posts for
PF, breather "MailScanner" on that user list and you'll get stomped
with a surprising amount of unrelated "advice"... So asking on a
friendlier list, even though it be off-topic for that list, will seem
like a good idea:-).

'nuff about this, we only disagree about the relative proportions of
the sinners... which really isn't that interresting... not on topic...
So... Lets call it a truce:)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn