RBL's

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 21:27:04 CET 2007

On 07/03/07, Nicolas Canepa <ncanepa at fcen.uba.ar> wrote:

>  Michele Neylon :: Blacknight wrote:
> Nicolas Canepa wrote:
>
> I need a recomendation on RBL lists to use in mailscanner. MailScanner has
> been blocking a lot of legitimate mail from hotmail, and I cannot tell
> people not to receive mail from hotmail, alltough I'd like to.
>
>  txs,
>
>  Which DNSBLs are you currently using and how are you implementing them? MTA
> level or within MailScanner?
>

>  I was using these since yesterday(set in MailScanner.conf):
>  Spam List =  spamhaus.org spamhaus-XBL SORBS-SMTP SORBS-ZOMBIE  SORBS-HTTP
> SORBS-SOCKS SORBS-WEB CBL RSL DSBL BLITZEDALL FABELSOURCES PSBL
>  And I was using these:
>  Spam List =  spamhaus.org spamhaus-XBL SORBS-DNSBL SORBS-SMTP SORBS-SPAM
> SORBS-BLOCK SORBS-ZOMBIE SBL+XBL SORBS-DNSBL SORBS-HTTP SORBS-SOCKS
> SORBS-MISC SORBS-WEB SORBS-DUL SORBS-RHSBL CBL RSL DSBL BLITZEDALL
> spamcop.net

I don't think Michele or Billy mentions this, but ... you are using
way to many in MailScanner to be really healthy for your processing
times...
MailScanner will do the lookups serially, one after the other. Far
better to defer most to SpamAssassin, which will do them in parallell.
Many prefer to do a few (or all) RBLs in the MTA, to be able to handle
the refused ones as little as possible. Some, like me, who (for
diverse reasons that we won't go into here) can't use them at the MTA
level will use one or possibly two in MailScanner and the rest in SA.

Having them all as you do... could spell trouble of another sort than
the obvious one you've already seen:-)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn