RBL's

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Wed Mar 7 20:56:52 CET 2007

Nicolas Canepa wrote:

> I was using these since yesterday(set in MailScanner.conf):
> Spam List =  spamhaus.org spamhaus-XBL SORBS-SMTP SORBS-ZOMBIE
> SORBS-HTTP SORBS-SOCKS SORBS-WEB CBL RSL DSBL BLITZEDALL FABELSOURCES PSBL
> And I was using these:
> Spam List =  spamhaus.org spamhaus-XBL SORBS-DNSBL SORBS-SMTP SORBS-SPAM
> SORBS-BLOCK SORBS-ZOMBIE SBL+XBL SORBS-DNSBL SORBS-HTTP SORBS-SOCKS
> SORBS-MISC SORBS-WEB SORBS-DUL SORBS-RHSBL CBL RSL DSBL BLITZEDALL
> spamcop.net

I'm not surprised you're having issues

Spamcop, for example, is fine for scoring, but blocking based on it will
hurt you.

XBL includes CBL, so there's little point in doubling up on the entries.

spamhaus.org and spamhaus-XBL do not look like correct entries and are
probably throwing errors in your logs (you have checked them I hope!)

You should _always_ read the listing criteria for any DNSBL _before_ you
start using it. If you are unsure do not use it.

Have a read of:

http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2004/08/07/email-filtering-pragmatism-vs-accuracy/

It's a bit old, but a lot of what I say in it is still true.

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions