Best way to allow attachments with it5 extension through

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:50:06 CET 2007

On 06/03/07, Daniel Straka <dstraka at caspercollege.edu> wrote:

> --
>
> Dan Straka
> Systems Coordinator
> Casper College
> 307.268.2399

> <Pine.LNX.4.64.0703062309370.7759 at faramir.hugo.vanderkooij.org>, Hugo van der
> Kooij <hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Daniel Straka wrote:
> >
> >> I've scoured the MailScanner list archives for an answer and have come up
> > with several answers.
> >> I'm looking for a quick and easy solution to allow attached files with the
> > extension .it5 through.
> >> Right now they're being  returned with the following message:
> >>
> >> ---------------------------
> >> Subject:     Warning: E-mail viruses detected
> >>
> >> Our e-mail content detector has just been triggered by a message you sent:
> >>
> >> One or more of the attachments (land.it5) are on
> >> the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and will not have
> >> been delivered.
> >
> > How about editing the list? (filename.rules.conf)
> >
> > In there you find:
> > deny    \.its$          Dangerous Internet Document Set (according to
> > Microsoft)         Dangerous attachment according to Microsoft Q883260
> >
> > That is. That is what it looked like straight out of the box.
> >
> > I think you will find a similar rule for your extension.
> >
> > Hugo.
>
> Thanks Hugo, but
> This is a data file for a mapping program and it's extension is it5(five) not s. It's not in the default configuration of the (filename.rules.conf) file.
> When it's run against the "File" program it's determined to be an executable, so even if I "allowed" it in (filename.rules.conf) I don't think MailScanner will allow it.

The problem isn't about names at all, it is about file TYPE;-).
Run the file command on the offending file and see _why_ it gets
labled as an executable... Permanent solutions might lie in the
direction of getting your file command patched, interrim solutions
might be editing your magic file so that the file command detects it
as the correct thing, or at least not as an executable.

Or you could make an exception for the sender/recipient combo in
MailScanner ... requires a ruleset on the filtetype rules setting and
an "overload" file as described in the wiki
(http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:rulesets:overloading)
... just remember to do something appropriate for the _filetype_
rules, not filenames;-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn