Skipping users

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Tue Mar 6 07:56:29 CET 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Thomas A. Cameron wrote:

> I'm not completely sure what the terminology is for what I'm trying to
> do or what layer would be best to do it on, so I'm mailing the list.
>
> I'll start out by saying I'm extremely pleased with MailScanner. The
> entire suite works extremely well, and  in the short time I've been
> using it I have already seen better results than from any other package
> I have ever experienced with other packages.
>
> Having said all of that, I have a user that believes he doesn't need
> SPAM protection. He believes he can handle the problem better than any
> tool. If I had a way to do it, I wouldn't block connections with an RBL
> either, just to show him what he's in for. But, that's not something I
> really want to get into.

> My question is this. How can I tell MailScanner to blindly accept any
> email destined for several addresses? Would I be better off doing this
> on the postfix level with a header check that tests positive on every
> address except his few? I use the SQL whitelist function of MailWatch,
> so I can't whitelist wildcards for his address. Is it possible to chain
> rule files & modules for the "is definitely not spam" option?

> Any suggestions would REALLY be appreciated. This is such a backward
> idea, I'm not even sure what I would call it.

Well if they want all the spam they want. Let them have it.

  1. Put some hidden links with a mailto: to they email address on line.
  2. Exclude every check for that user by white listing them in postfix.
  3. Exclude them in your MailScanner with a rule in
 	spam.whitelist.rules like:

To:             haasje at vanderkooij.org          yes

I use it for a few addresses but for another reason. (Some addresses are
used as bait to educate my bayesian filterin manualy.)

But if they want it. Let them have is and let them pay for the additional
resources like bandwidth and such.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)