clamav update advice

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:11:12 CET 2007

On 05/03/07, Denis Beauchemin <Denis.Beauchemin at usherbrooke.ca> wrote:
> Rodney Green a écrit :
> > Hello,
> > I'm looking at upgrading ClamAV to version 0.90.1; I'm currently
> > running version 0.88.4 which was installed using Julian's install
> > package.
> > The instructions for 0.90.1 says that I have to uninstall the previous
> > version. I've attempted to run "make uninstall" from the source
> > directory for 0.88.4, but I'm getting a "No rule to make target
> > 'uninstall'" error. How can I uninstall the previous version? Any
> > advice is welcome. :-)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rod
> Rodney,
>
> I didn't uninstall anything and it works just fine on RHEL4.
>
> Denis

Same here for Mandriva -06/-07.
I'm not sure if this is a new addition to the advice, it might've been
there for ages, but I suspect it has to do with them bumping up
version number for libclamav ... But since you'd need relink/recompile
anything depending on this anyway (specifically Mail::ClamAV, I guess)
I suppose we really don't _need_ remove anything. Freshclam takes care
of changing over from daily.cvd to daily.inc ...

To do an "uninstall" you'd need determine what the source package
installed by Jules package actually installed.
Easiest is usually to do a
make -n install
and try to decipher what it'd actually try copy where... and then use
that info to remove it:-).
Usually all you need remove is
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/*clam* /usr/local/share/clamav /usr/local/lib/*clam*
... at least with Jules easy-install-package (might be some man-pages
that should be cleaned out too:).

--
-- Glenn