Postfix Address Verification

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 11:17:38 IST 2007

On 29/06/07, Drew Marshall <drew at technologytiger.net> wrote:
(snip)

> > And this is for one where is didn't:
> > Jun 28 02:49:28 gatekeeper2 postfix/smtpd[8700]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
> > from unknown[80.99.7.4]: 450 <user at validdomain.com>: Recipient address
> > rejected: Domain not found; from=<jahka at place.com>
> > to=<user at validdomain.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<aram.chello.hu>
>
> This looks like a DNS problem. Are you running a cacheing DNS server on
> this box? Postfix is rejecting with a temporary failure (450) as it is
> having what it thinks could be a short term problem. I assume you have set
> the next hop in the transport map file, have you done this using a name
> record or IP address? i.e. in the file does it say:
>
> validdomain  relay:internal.host
>
> or
>
> validdomain  relay:[192.168.1.225]

True ... assuming Seamus uses the transport map to do the routing...
And not some kind of split-view-DNS with internal MX records for the
respective domains... In which case this'd perhaps point to an DNS/MX
problem for that domain. ... Then again, with the serious lack of
sleep I'm labouring under, I might completely misstaken:-).

> Just to make sure this isn't Postfix logging a slight red herring, can you
> also let me know what you have under:
>
> smtpd_client_restrictions
> smtpd_sender_restrictions
>
> in main.cf
>
> The other thing to check is the logs of the internal machine (Exchange?),
> just in case there is anything obvious there.
>
> Drew

Cheers
--
-- Glenn