Postfix Address Verification

Jody Cleveland cleveland at winnefox.org
Wed Jun 27 17:42:32 IST 2007

On 6/26/07 2:57 AM, "Gareth" <list-mailscanner at linguaphone.com> wrote:

> See
> http://www.mailscanner.info/wiki/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta:p
> ostfix:how_to:reject_non_existent_users
> Thats what I do and it works very well.
>
> Just make sure Exchange is configured to reject mail to unknown
> recipients. If you cant do that then there are other ways such as using
> LDAP to regularly pull out a list of valid addresses from exchange,

So, just so I'm clear, (we're using Exchange 2003) it will work if I add
this (taken from the link you sent):

1) Confirm that master.cf contains the following line and add it if not:

verify unix - - n - 1 verify

2) Add the following to main.cf

In smtpd_recipient_restrictions add the following options:

reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unverified_recipient

Then add the following options:

unverified_recipient_reject_code = 550
address_verify_map = btree:/etc/postfix/verify

3) Restart postfix and test functionality

The problem is, I need to be able to do this without using ldap, and I can't
change any settings on the exchange server itself. (it's under someone
else's control)

- jody