MailScanner startup/Sendmail Config question

Bryan Guest bryan.guest at bmts.com
Tue Jun 26 17:39:28 IST 2007

Hello:

I have a question regarding the configuration of MailScanner, in the way it
starts Sendmail.

My Mail Gateway MTA's are configured like this:

Redhat ES V4
MailScanner 4.56.8
ClamAv  0.90.1

After processing, local mail is delivered to a Mail Store machine and
non-local mail is delivered to the destination MX by the MTA.

As I understand it, MailScanner starts Sendmail twice.  The first Sendmail
accepts mail and queues it in the inbound queue.  The second is the queue
runner which delivers all mail passed through by MailScanner to the outbound
queue.

My issue is, that the first Sendmail blindly accepts mail no matter what the
To: address says and queue's it.  It is not doing any non-account
processing.   This isn't appropriate for a Gateway.  I need to bounce
invalid users with the first Sendmail, so that it doesn't get piled up in
the outbound queue where the Mail Store machine rejects it during the
delivery attempt by the outbound queue-runner.

In other words, since my mail is not to be delivered locally on my
MailScanner machines, how can I configure the first sendmail to reject based
on invalid To: addresses?  Has this problem not been encountered before?

I should mention here that all our users are stored in LDAP.  The Gateways
and the Mail Store are LDAP aware, so that the machines know what is a valid
user and what is not.  But we are not using LDAP for mail routing at this
time.

Any information which anyone could share on this situation would be
appreciated.

And many thanks to Julien and everyone on this list for all the effort.

Bryan Guest