milters with postfix and news update

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 26 16:07:14 IST 2007

Glenn,

Any updates on when you might be able to get this little bug fixed for
me please?

I would like to put out a new version at the start of July if possible,
as there are some new features which you may find interesting (thanks to
Matt Hampton!), plus of course the bug-fixes to the auto-zip functionality.

The new feature is a system of watermarking outgoing messages in the
Message-ID header. The contents of this header should be replicated in
any incoming replies to the message. So if you get a matching watermark
in the incoming reply, you can skip the spam checks as you know it's a
reply to one of your own messages. The advantage of this is that you
cannot accidentally lose replies to the spam checks. If you don't get a
reply to a message, you can be sure it's because they didn't send one!
(or else because their rubbish non-MailScanner-based system decided to
throw away your original message, of course :-)

My thanks go out to Matt Hampton for all his excellent work designing
and implementing this new feature. The only thing I did was change the
name from an acronym (something to do with EMEWs!) to "watermarking" to
make it simpler to understand, bearing in mind that many of my users
don't speak English as their first language and so need words they can
easily look up and comprehend :-)

I've just got to write the documentation for it, and get you guys to
test it.

P.S. I went to see my consultant yesterday. Basically my body is
repairing my missing portal vein (the one that carries mucky blood into
your liver for cleaning) by actually growing a new one. Cool or what!
And he wants me to talk to the liver transplant team from Cambridge
about the possibility of getting me a pre-loved one that works rather
better than mine does.

Cheers all,
Jules.

Jules