Beta release 4.61.1

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Tue Jun 5 14:45:08 IST 2007

[Rick Cooper]
 It would be possible to add an option to restart the daemon if a problem
was
encountered however I leave that up to Julian as it would require runningthe
hosts init script and I don't know if that is something he would want todo.
However if clamd has a problem your logs will note this and you could
certainly set up a script to run in cron to look for MailScanner clamderrors
and notify you. I personally monitor all my important daemons fortrouble and
I have a script that PINGS clamd that runs from cron. I reallyhaven't had
problems with clamd for at least a year and I never restart it.I only have
redhat/centos/fedora based distros though.

I'm not getting into the market for writing clamd monitoring scripts, I
believe there are already some out there.
If you want to rely on clamd, it's up to you to ensure it's running
reliably.

[Rick Cooper]
I agree completely. I think MailScanner calling external init scripts would
be bad given it's not generally running as root so one would have to give
the MailScanner
user access to the script and I just don't know about how I would like that
from a security standpoint. I think any responsible SysOp should be
monitoring all the
important daemons with the ability to restart and notify in case of issues,
including MailScanner. Besides even if you use clamscan, clamdscan or
ClamAVModule if
sig database get's hosed you are going to have a problem and you need to be
watching the logs for issues anyway.

Rick

believed to be clean.