OT: Spam King Arrested!

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Mon Jun 4 13:41:15 IST 2007

Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> One down --- thousands to go!
>>
> I wonder about that. If a change of policy and tolerance in the US
> towards these lowlifes meant that they started to get locked up, if spam
> was to be treated like DVD piracy and the US Gov sent delegations to
> other countries and demanded action, would the volume drop
> significantly? In most cases it is relatively easy to "follow the money"
> and fine those who benefit. The exception to those is the stock spams
> which try to influence the market, but again, probably easy enough to
> see the patterns and find out who is gaining from the scams.
>
> If the US Gov. gave a damn about spam, I think we would see a dramatic
> reduction in volume and the hard core spammers looking for other work.

There are only two solutions to the problem. 1) Government involvement,
literally a license to use port 25. 2) All the tools we use to fight
spam when it arrives at our networks should be used to fight spam before
it leaves our networks. I don't see the PHBs spending the money on that
one because the attitude of "If it is my mail it is not spam" is sooooo
prevalent.

I despise solution #1, I prefer no government decide what email I want
to read, but I see it happening before solution #2. I don't really use
email anymore, I pretty much gave up on it about a year ago. I prefer a
good old paper letter or a phone call now.

DAve

Veterans?